Norfolk County Youth Orchestra alumni invited to attend special reunion concert in Norwich
- Credit: supplied by Sally Wortley
A special reunion concert celebrating many decades of music making in the county will be performed by the Norfolk County Youth Orchestra next month.
The event at St Andrew's Hall in Norwich on Thursday, April 6 at 7.30pm will involve both current members of the orchestra and invited alumni.
The main work in the concert programme will be Mahler's Symphony No. 1 'The Titan.' Julia Hwang, string finalist in the BBC Young Musician of the Year, will be the soloist in Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto.
Anybody who was a member of the orchestra recently, from 60 years ago, or from Wymondham College music course days, is also invited to a pre-concert reunion reception at 5.30pm.
Cellist Sally Wortley, a member of the youth orchestra from 1969 to 1974, said: 'I am very much looking forward to meeting up with and playing alongside old friends from the Norfolk Youth Orchestra. Many of them went on to become highly successful professional musicians with some of the finest orchestras in the country.
You may also want to watch:
Horn player Michael Nutt, a member of the orchestra from 1968 to 1973, said: 'I have fond memories of the youth orchestra courses in the Nissen huts at Wymondham College and I've really appreciated the lifetime of music-making that this type of orchestral training makes possible.
'Apart from those of us who play regularly in local orchestras, the April 6 concert will be the first time some of us have all got together again since youth orchestra days.'
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 7 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 8 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars
Former members wanting to attend should get in touch via www.norfolkmusichub.org.uk/norfolk-county-youth-orchestra-celebration-concert/ or the orchestra's Facebook page, or by emailing astsally215@gmail