Norfolk county and West Norfolk borough councillor David Harwood has died
Minute's silence for county cabinet member.
Members of the planning committee of West Norfolk Council were told the sad news at the beginning of today's meeting and observed a minute's silence.
Mr Harwood, of Terrington St Clement, was cabinet member for adult social services at county level and was previously a cabinet member of the borough council, where he represented Terrington St Clement and Tilney All Saints.
He was also involved with the West Norfolk Disability Forum and a board member of the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital Trust.
West Norfolk council leader Nick Daubney paid tribute to Mr Harwood, who had been ill for some time.
You may also want to watch:
'We were elected at the same time, in 1999. It was remarkable that he continued to serve during his illness. David cared deeply about his community and worked very hard for the borough,' said Mr Daubney.
He added that the council would arrange to acknowledge Mr Harwood's contribution formally.
- 1 Couple turn grain store into 'James Bond' home
- 2 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 3 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 4 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 5 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 6 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 7 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 High school pupils isolating after positive Covid-19 test
- 10 Demolition of seaside hotel begins
Leader of the Labour group, Charles Joyce, said Mr Harwood would be missed.
'While we had our differences, I believe it is true to say that David was a dedicated, hard-working and conscientious councillor who was loyal to the principles of everyone who wants a better life for their community.'
Mr Harwood had served on the borough's cabinet until he joined the county cabinet.