Norfolk chef wants to teach Paul Hollywood how to make ‘proper’ Pastéis de Nata
- Credit: Ana Teles
Like others, North Walsham-based pastry Chef Joaquim Teles has been following the progress of contestants on The Great British Bake Off.
However while many will have enjoyed watching pastry week, Mr Teles found himself frustrated with what he saw.
The 44-year-old whose speciality bake is Pastéis de Nata was less than impressed with the recipe Paul Hollywood provided.
'Since I arrived in the UK I have been trying to explain what Pastéis de Nata are. They are not Portuguese custard tarts, they are not egg custard tarts, they are Pastéis de Nata,' said Mr Teles.
'After seeing the Bake Off episode, I felt really upset. Everything in the recipe was wrong.
You may also want to watch:
'First, making puff pastry from scratch isn't easy and making it without guidance is unacceptable, so the puff pastry didn't come out as it should. Then the filling - it's more complex than they showed and don't get me started on the muffin tins they supplied!'
He added: 'They say they were making Pastéis de Nata but really they were making something else.'
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 6 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 7 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 8 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 9 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
Mr Teles has since made his own videos showing how to correctly make the treat.
He plans to start a YouTube channel to instuct on the art of patisserie.