Norfolk and Suffolk air cadets aim high with World Cup winner at rugby tournament
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
Hundreds of youngsters from across the region have enjoyed the chance to try out rugby and meet a World Cup winner at the same time.
On Sunday the fifth Sportivate Air Cadet Cup was held at the home of Diss Rugby Club.
The event saw 24 cadet groups from Norfolk and Suffolk, including Diss and Wymondham squadrons, take part and as they competed in touch rugby games they impressed an England star.
Looking on and giving tips was 2014 World Cup Winner Rachael Burford who gave her seal of approval to the Sportivate event, which was designed to introduce youngsters to new sports.
To help prepare the cadets, local rugby teams near each squadron had taken training sessions with the youngsters.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Burford, who plays as a centre, said: 'I think it is brilliant to see the commitment from everyone involved.
'I have been amazed by the sportsmanship and how polite all the cadets are, that is what rugby is all about.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 10 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
The Sportivate Air Cadet Cup was won by a team of Bury St Edmunds cadets, who beat a team from Sudbury in the final.
A team from Dereham came third by beating Ipswich cadets.
Sunday's event was supported by Active Norfolk, Suffolk Sport and England Rugby and also involved Broadlands, Caister and Great Yarmouth cadets.