Air hostess proposed to on Norwich Airport runway having met future husband on Tinder
- Credit: Loganair
A flight attendant from Norfolk has had the surprise of a lifetime as she left her plane to find her boyfriend waiting on one knee on the runway below.
Alexandra Barclay, 24, had just finished a four-flight shift when her partner James Parr, 31, met her at the steps of the aircraft.
The bride-to-be said: 'I have waited a long for the best moment of my life and I couldn't have imagined anything more special.
'It really took me by surprise but after the initial shock I was absolutely overjoyed.'
She added: 'Thanks to my colleagues for making it all happen, my parents for giving him permission and also, of course to James, for putting such a clever plan together.'
The couple met thanks to dating app Tinder, when the pair swiped right in 2015.
Mr Parr had been planning the proposal for months, seeking out her family's permission as well as asking their advice on which ring to buy.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 5 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 9 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 10 All I want for Christmas is... a twinkling tractor with fairy lights
Mr Parr also recruited the help of Miss Barclay's colleagues, who were all in on the top secret plan.
Mr Parr used Facebook to track down his fiancées colleague, first officer Clive Bennewith, who organised for the local fire brigade to attend and use their sirens in celebration after the bride-to-be said yes.
Mr Bennewith also arranged for the air hostess's Norwich-based cabin crew to arrive in uniform to celebrate the proposal with her, as well as Captain Simon Wilcock who caught the moment for the couple on camera.
The couple are both Norfolk born and bred, and live together in Stalham.
Those flying from Norwich airport on the evening of July 7 witnessed the proposal and joined in with their congratulations.
Miss Barclay, who predominantly flies on Loganair's Norwich routes to Jersey, Edinburgh and Manchester, believes she and her future husband will wed in 2020.
Kay Ryan, commercial director at Loganair, commented, 'It's a pleasure for Loganair to be a part of such a special moment in this couple's journey, and wonderful to see the strong bond between our members of staff.
'We all offer Alexandra and James our congratulations, and wish them the best of luck planning the wedding.'