No more clowning around as Hippodrome Circus bans clowns
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
Clowns have been banned from a popular circus after a spate of pranksters dressing up as clowns has caused alarm across the region.
The Hippodrome Circus in Great Yarmouth has banned clowns from performing and even entering its renowned indoor circus.
Hippodrome owner Peter Jay said: 'The current outrage of clown attacks has only justified this ban which has existed for quite a few years.
'The show has gone from strength to strength without unfunny and quite frankly scary clowns, so the only place you will see them is in our museum backstage.'
In the past clowns regularly performed at the circus, but the Hippodrome's resident comedy duo Jack Jay and Johnny Mac do not use clown style make-up.
Mr Jay added: 'I expect there will be uproar in the business about this but we are only following a non-clown policy we had for many years and the current craze for scary clowns has only strengthened our response not to ever use them again.
'I apologise to my many friends who wear the make-up but times have moved on and the audience love comedy, our new style with no scary makeup.'
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 7 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 10 Plan to charge for seafront floral tributes is agreed