New Waveney bus service launched
A new bus service for rural parts of north-east Suffolk was launched yesterday.The Halesworth Pathfinder bus service runs like a taxi service, but at the cost of a bus fare.
A new bus service for country-dwellers in north-east Suffolk was launched yesterday.
The Halesworth Pathfinder bus service runs like a taxi service, but at the cost of a bus fare.
The new bus runs in Halesworth, the Blyth Valley and villages south of Bungay and Beccles such as Ilketshall St Lawrence, Ilketshall St Andrew and the South Elmham communities.
Passengers call the centre the day before to book their journey - which can be anything from a shopping trip to a walk in the countryside - and the bus arrives at their door to take them to their destination.
It does not go to Southwold, Bungay, Beccles or Lowestoft, which have their own public transport services.
The vehicle carries up to six people and can take wheelchairs.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 4 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 5 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 6 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 7 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 8 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 9 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 10 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
The service is funded by Discover Suffolk, a £240,000 community partnership led by the county council, and is operated by the Halesworth Volunteer Centre.
Launching the service, Eddy Alcock, council member for environment, waste management and economic development, said: "Improving accessibility across the county is important, and I am delighted that Discover Suffolk has acquired the funding to introduce this service.
"I am sure it will be welcomed by local people and I hope they will take the opportunity to organise a trip out at the weekend as well as the essential service to shops and doctors' appointments."
The bus operates from Tuesday to Sunday, 7am to 7pm.
All journeys, including the return, must be booked the day before travel.
You can make your booking on 01986 874479.