New study shows that Swaffham has some of the fattest dogs in Britain
- Credit: PA
Swaffham has some of the fattest dogs in Britain, according to a new survey.
The study by pets supplies company, Pets at Home, concludes that the average dog in Swaffham weighs 41pc more than it ought to.
It found that a fifth of Britain's dogs are overweight, with Swinton in Yorkshire having the heaviest canines in the whole country, where the average dog is 48pc over its healthy weight.
The study involved over half a million weigh-ins across the UK and shows the average British dog weighs 22pc more than it should.
It says dogs are too often treated to foods like chocolate and cheese, which can be detrimental to their health.
You may also want to watch:
Being overweight can lead to damage to joints, bones and ligaments as well as breathing problems.
In the worst cases, it can cut a dog's life short.
- 1 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops project
- 2 Shop worker receives complaints for asking customers to wear face masks
- 3 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 4 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 7 'We don't want to close': Farm shop makes plea for support during lockdown
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 10 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
Closest to the ideal weight is County Durham's Consett, where dogs are just 0.99% overweight.
The towns where dogs are most overweight are:
:: Swinton, 48pc (over their healthy weight)
:: Edgware, Dundee and Beckton, 47pc.
:: Ferndale, Hounslow and Greenock, 46pc.
:: Faringdon, Dovercourt, Cliftonville, 45pc.
:: Blackwood, Hainault and Bidford on Avon, 44pc.
:: Bletchley, Penarth, Chinnor, Caddington, Seaford, 43pc.
:: Barton upon Humber, Branksome and Brentford, 43pc.
:: Cheshunt, Kilwinning, 42pc.
:: Welshpool, Biddenden, Livingston and Swaffham, 41pc.
:: Droylesden, Todmorden, Radlett, 40.5pc.