New picture of Prince George taken in Norfolk to mark eighth birthday
- Credit: The Duchess of Cambridge
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have shared a new photograph of Prince George taken in west Norfolk to mark his birthday.
The eldest son of the royal couple turns eight on Thursday and has been pictured smiling in a striped polo shirt with dark blue shorts.
He is sat perched on the bonnet of a Land Rover Defender showing off a toothy grin in front of a field.
The off-road vehicle is synonymous with his great-grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh and the image was taken by his mother the Duchess of Cambridge.
Prince Philip, who died in April a few months short of his 100th birthday, regularly drove Land Rovers and during his funeral the duke's coffin was carried by a specially adapted defender which he helped design.
The photograph shows just how much Prince George has grown up.
You may also want to watch:
The Duchess is a keen photographer and regularly produces images of Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis to mark milestones in her children's lives.
The image of George was taken outdoors earlier this month in Norfolk, where the Cambridges have their family home, Anmer Hall, which is close to the Queen's Sandringham residence.
And it comes after Prince George helped his father Prince William and sister Princess Charlotte start fun runs on the royal estate in the first-ever Run Sandringham event in June.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 8 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 9 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 10 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
Prince George was born in the private Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, at 4.24pm on July 22, 2013, weighing 8lb 6oz.
He made his public debut in front of the world's media on the hospital steps one day later, wrapped in a white merino wool shawl, cradled in his proud parents' arms.
A great-grandchild to the Queen, he will be the 43rd monarch since William the Conqueror obtained the crown of England if, as expected, he follows the reigns of his grandfather, the Prince of Wales, and then his father, William.