New president of Wymondham Lions Club is welcomed
- Credit: Archant
The new president of the Wymondham Lions Club has said he wants to increase the involvement of the next generation in supporting less fortunate members of society.
Mike Tufts, who has taken over the role from Brian Bodiam, also said he wanted to expand the Wymondham Lions' membership over the next year.
Mr Tufts was born into a Norfolk farming family and studied at Easton College before returning home to help manage the family farms.
After chairing Aylsham Young Farmers' Club he married his wife, Janice, and continued farming at Rocklands near Attleborough.
The couple have three children and four grandchildren.
After retirement Mr and Mrs Tufts moved to Wicklewood.
They enjoy golf, gardening, European holidays and spending time with their family.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 9 Man in 30s arrested on suspicion of drug dealing in rural village
- 10 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
Mr Tufts became a Lion in 2014, saying that after a busy and fulfilling life it was good to have the time to be able to help others in the community.
Mr Bodiam said how pleased he was that membership had grown over the past year and that more than £7,000 had been raised and donated to good causes including the Wymondham Dementia Support Group, the first responders and Remap, which specialises in making bespoke aids for the disabled.
Other events have included carol singing and giving out presents at a number of local care homes, running a Santa's grotto at the Christmas fair, and an annual charity swim – this year in aid of EACH.
Wymondham Lions meet upstairs at The Feathers pub on the last Monday of each month at 7.30pm.
For more information email Wymondhamlions@gmail.com or call 08458 335749.