New president of Wymondham Lions Club is welcomed
- Credit: Archant
The new president of the Wymondham Lions Club has said he wants to increase the involvement of the next generation in supporting less fortunate members of society.
Mike Tufts, who has taken over the role from Brian Bodiam, also said he wanted to expand the Wymondham Lions' membership over the next year.
Mr Tufts was born into a Norfolk farming family and studied at Easton College before returning home to help manage the family farms.
After chairing Aylsham Young Farmers' Club he married his wife, Janice, and continued farming at Rocklands near Attleborough.
The couple have three children and four grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
After retirement Mr and Mrs Tufts moved to Wicklewood.
They enjoy golf, gardening, European holidays and spending time with their family.
- 1 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 2 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 3 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 4 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 5 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 6 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 7 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 8 Cactus shop selling £95 plants opens in Norwich phone box
- 9 Farke on his contract situation at City
- 10 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
Mr Tufts became a Lion in 2014, saying that after a busy and fulfilling life it was good to have the time to be able to help others in the community.
Mr Bodiam said how pleased he was that membership had grown over the past year and that more than £7,000 had been raised and donated to good causes including the Wymondham Dementia Support Group, the first responders and Remap, which specialises in making bespoke aids for the disabled.
Other events have included carol singing and giving out presents at a number of local care homes, running a Santa's grotto at the Christmas fair, and an annual charity swim – this year in aid of EACH.
Wymondham Lions meet upstairs at The Feathers pub on the last Monday of each month at 7.30pm.
For more information email Wymondhamlions@gmail.com or call 08458 335749.