New landlords pick up keys to get Norwich pub open for Christmas
- Credit: James Bass
The keys have been collected and a Golden Triangle pub will re-open before Christmas, its new landlords said today.
The York Tavern, in Leicester Street, closed suddenly in October amid reports the pub was facing a hefty repair bill to fix the wall surrounding the beer garden.
Enterprise Inns, which owns the pub, said at the time that it had been given no notice of the landlord's decision to close up and leave.
The company said earlier this month that it hoped to reopen the pub before Christmas, and new landlords Russell Evans and John Linford picked up the keys yesterday.
The pair also reopened the Buck Inn, in Thorpe St Andrew, last month.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Evans said: 'We plan to open this great pub before Christmas, and then start bringing food back to it in the new year.
'As with the Buck we are looking at re-opening pubs that have closed down, that need to be reopened.
- 1 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 2 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 3 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live
- 4 Woman on soft-food diet 'forever' after attack by kick-boxer partner
- 5 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 6 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 7 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 8 Pub hands out free ice creams during road collision traffic jam
- 9 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 10 Left-back seals permanent Canaries exit
'The York is a pub that John and I used to drink in, and it's a pub that locals want reopened.
'I don't know why it closed, but it was through no fault of the locals. We think it's a sustainable pub.'
Mr Evans said they were recruiting a new manager to run the pub on a day-to-day basis.
And he said they were looking for bar staff to help out over the Christmas period.
'Anybody that can help out, please get in touch,' he added.
The Buck Inn, in Yarmouth Road, re-opened last month, with Laurence Kitson as general manager, after being closed for four months.
Mr Kitson had approached the pub's owner, Enterprise Inns, to express his interest in reopening the venue.
He will aim to emulate long-term landlady Patsy Dashwood, who ran the pub for 25 years and has been popping in to give the new owners some advice.
The Evening News has been urging people to return to pubs in our Love your Local campaign.
To see more stories from the campaign about local pubs, visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal
If you can help out at the York Tavern, Mr Evans would love to hear from you on 07774783111.
Have you got a pub story for the Evening News? Email email@example.com