New housing scheme named after James Stewart opened in Tibenham
A new housing development, named after American actor and airbase commander James Stewart, was officially opened at a south Norfolk village yesterday.
Five affordable homes for local people in Tibenham, near Diss, were opened by Saffron Housing Trust for villagers to look around.
The project at Stewart Close, off Pristow Green Lane, has been named after James Stewart who was based at nearby Tibenham Airfield with the USAAF 445th Bombardment Group during the second world war.
The development comprises of two one-bed houses, a two bedroom bungalow, a three bedroom house and a two bedroom house, which will be rented out to people who live or have connections with the parish.
The affordable scheme was built outside the village development boundary, but received the support of Tibenham Parish Council.
John Whitelock, director of new business at Saffron, said: 'It is something that we believe in and it is about providing local homes for local people and we do a lot of consultation with the local community and that does not mean that everyone agrees with us, but it is something that is good for the community and keeps villages alive.'
There are currently more than 3,000 people on the housing waiting list in South Norfolk.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 10 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
Local district and county councillor Bev Spratt added: 'The Tibenham community accepted the planning application with gusto. The houses look fantastic in this corner of Tibenham opposite the village hall. This is the way forward for rural communities and I am very pleased with the design and the air source heat pumps.'