New giant inflatable to be unveiled at Beccles Lido opening
- Credit: Archant
Residents will be able to cool off from the sun as Beccles Lido reopens on Saturday.
The outdoor swimming pool will open at 7.30am and there's sure to be a queue again, with 150 season tickets already sold.
And there's an exciting new addition for children at the lido, with the introduction of a new giant inflatable.
Despite losing out on a large grant to buy the inflatable in February, Beccles Lido director Shaun Crowley said: 'We were hoping not to have to use our own precious cash reserves, but the old inflatable was broken after four years of tough action and beyond economic repair.
'Having the aquarun is essential if we are to attract sufficient visitors and we think it is important to have the best – and our new one has some great new obstacles as well as a smaller exit slide for younger swimmers.
'We have the biggest pool in the area and we're fairly sure we now have the biggest giant inflatable.'
Head of fundraising at the lido, director Suzanne Gibbons added: 'It really was a big and unexpected expense, but as Shaun says we have to have it. We also had to replace an expensive pump in the plantroom and this means our cash reserves have really taken a knock, just when we need them for the new toilet block project. So it is more important than ever that the public get behind our fundraising campaign.'
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 4 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 5 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 6 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 7 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 8 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 9 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 10 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
The lido team launched the campaign back in April to raise £110,000 to replace the ageing toilet and changing block, and many local businesses and organisations have already pledged their support.
Last year was a record season at the lido, with 46,138 visitors passing through the gates.
The pool will be open weekdays, excluding Thursdays, from 7am to 6.30pm, and on Thursdays it will stay open to 8pm, light permitting. At weekends it will open from 7.30am to 6.30pm.
Season tickets will be on sale this weekend, and visitors can also sign up for aquacise classes starting on June 5, and discover scuba diving classes starting on Tuesday evenings.
For more information and to sign up to the Beccles Lido Lottery, visit www.BecclesLido.com
To make a donation to the campaign, visit www.VirginMoneyGiving/NewToilets or send your cheque to 6 Cromwell Close, Beccles, NR34 9XE.