New era for Attleborough’s postal services is about to start
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A Post Office is due to start operating at a convenience store in Attleborough's High Street today following a controversial move from the nearby post office building.
A Subway takeaway will also be at the premises, which has been re-branded as a One Stop, taking over from a Londis.
A Post Office spokesman said: 'The new shop is currently having major internal work done, including extending into the back storage areas to increase the floor space.
'As well as a Post Office, there will also be a new Subway sandwich section.'
But last month, the town council criticised the Post Office because of concerns over a lack of transparency over the move, insufficient public consultation and the lack of a parcel pick-up service at the new counter.
You may also want to watch:
Postal services at the store will be provided from three counters – two fully screened ones and a Post Office service point by the retail counter.
The two main counters will be open Monday to Saturday 9am to 5.30pm.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 4 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 8 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
The service point will be open Monday to Sunday, 5am to 10pm.
It will mean there is an extra 68 hours a week of Post Office services.
The One Stop will have a greater range of groceries than the previous Londis and promises to have lower prices, while retaining a range of stationery and greetings cards.
The counter will start operating at 1pm, and an official opening will take place on Saturday at midday.
There will be a face painter, magician, charity raffle and sampling of Subway sandwiches at the weekend event. The Londis branch had been operating at the site for 14 years.