New consultation over King’s Lynn incinerator
As one council gets set to mount a legal challenge to the government's decision to release the funding needed to build it, a fresh round of consultation starts next week over the King's Lynn incinerator.
An extended 28-day period of public consultation will begin on Monday and run until Monday February 20.
Graham Plant, Norfolk's cabinet member for planning and transportation, said: 'A planning application was submitted to the authority in June and a public consultation followed.
'After thorough scrutiny of the application our planning officers wrote to the applicant asking for further information and clarification on a number of points.
'That information has now been received and it is this that will form the basis of this second consultation.
You may also want to watch:
'We are required to consult for 21 days but given the complex nature of this application we are extending this to 28 days. Once again the County Council is keen to hear views from as many people as possible and all views are welcome.'
More than 3,000 letters will be going out to statutory consultees and people who registered an interest in the application, or responded to the original consultation.
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
Some 2,550 objections were received - 96pc of all responses from across Norfolk - to a consultation held when the planning application for the incinerator was submitted last year.
On Wednesday, Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman announced that she had approved �91m in Waste Infrastructure Grant funding towards the cost of the �169m plant.
But West Norfolk council is preparing to apply for a judicial review, claiming Ms Spelman broke her own guidelines in awarding the money because there is not a 'broad consensus of support' for an incinerator.
In a poll carried out in West Norfolk, 65,000 people voted against the plant.
In a statement yesterday, County Hall said: 'The County Council will respond again to all parties commenting to acknowledge receipt of the comments raised and these comments will be considered by officers when preparing their recommendation for members to consider at the relevant planning committee.
'All comments will be carefully considered, but unfortunately the authority does not have the resources to enter into detailed correspondence regarding the issues raised.'
It said people could make their views known:
• Online - a copy of the application and further information will be available on the County Council website www.norfolk.gov.uk/willowsplanningprocess on Monday.
• By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• By post: Planning Services, Environment, Transport and Development
Norfolk County Council, County Hall
Martineau Lane, Norwich NR1 2UD
Copies of the further information and updated application will be placed at County Hall (Martineau Lane, Norwich), West Norfolk council offices (King's Court, Chapel Street, King's Lynn), local libraries in the King's Lynn area (King's Lynn, Gaywood, Dersingham, Hunstanton, Downham Market, Swaffham) and in Norwich (The Millennium Library at The Forum) as they become available.