New Conservative leader announced for Waveney District Council
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Mark Bee has been elected as the new Conservative leader on Waveney District Council (WDC).
He will take over from Colin Law who has held the post for six years.
Speaking after the Waveney Conservative Group's AGM, where the vote took place, Mr Bee said: 'It is a great honour and privilege to lead the Conservatives on Waveney District Council, a role I previously held for seven years.
'It is very much a different council to the one which we took control of in 2004. Colin Law has done a cracking job in steering the council through some difficult times and achieving the merger with Suffolk Coastal District Council. I will take this project forward mindful that we must ensure that the best interests of the people of Waveney, as well as the rest of East Suffolk, must be at the heart of this project which will make us the largest district council in England but also save thousands of pounds a year.'
Mr Bee is currently chairman of WDC and also Suffolk county councillor for Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
The new deputy leader will be Steve Ardley who succeeds David Ritchie, who has held the post for two years.
The Annual Council Meeting next Wednesday, May 17, will appoint the new leader and deputy leader as well as all other cabinet and committee places.
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 6 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 7 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 8 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 9 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 10 How former teacher jailed for abuse of young boys was pillar of community