New chairman for Waveney District Council
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
Former Suffolk County Council leader Mark Bee has become the new chairman of Waveney District Council.
Mr Bee, who represents the Worlingham ward on the district, has been a member of Waveney for 18 years and was leader of the district for seven years – from 2004 to 2011.
He stood down from the leadership of Waveney when he took the top job at Endeavour House and was leader of the county council until 2015.
He is the Conservative Party agent in Waveney and works for MP Peter Aldous in the constituency and is also a key member of the 'remain' campaign in the run-up to the European referendum.
Mr Bee said: 'It has been a very great honour to serve the people of Waveney since 1998 and I am absolutely delighted to be appointed to this prestigious role.
You may also want to watch:
'I will continue to represent this district and the people of Waveney with great pride and with a clear determination to promote the importance of this council's role in the local community.'
Caroline Topping has been appointed vice-chairman, having been a Waveney District Councilllor since 2015 representing the Beccles South ward.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 Air ambulance attends crash on the A11