New Aldi store in Norwich opened by Olympian Tim Baillie
Olympian Tim Baillie officially opened Aldi's fourth store in Norwich, which has brought 40 jobs to the area.
The athlete, who won gold in the London 2012 canoe slalom, celebrated his 38th birthday by opening the Hall Road.
It is the first of two new Aldi stores to open in Norwich this year.
Children from Edith Cavell Academy School's choir treated customers to a sing-along at the store, before receiving shopping bags full of fresh fruit from the supermarket.
The store is 1,254sqm in size and has 574 free car parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
The new store has created 40 new jobs, with Aldi saying they are paying workers at least £8.53 per hour - higher than National Living Wage of £7.50 an hour.
Store manager Stuart Calver said: 'We're really pleased to be opening another store in Norwich and we hope this will make our products more accessible to people in the south of the city.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 6 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 City Council withdraws support for £153m Western Link
- 10 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
The store is open 8am to 10pm, Monday to Saturday, and 10am to 4pm on Sundays.