New 10k run launched on Norfolk beach
Hunstanton's striped cliffs will provide the backdrop to a new 10k charity run taking place next month.
The beach run was launched yesterday (Thursday) to raise money for the Stroke Association and the Friends of the Stroke Unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn.
As well as the 10k challenge itself, a host of activities are planned including a classic car show and family fun day at Hunstanton Green on Sunday, September 30.
The launch was attended by Ann Lankester, a stroke specialist sister at the QEH, Paul Brandon from West Norfolk Sports Council, West Norfolk councillor Liz Nockolds and members of the Ryston runners group, who hit the beach to try out the course.
Mrs Nockolds said: 'I'm really excited that the beach run is taking place this year as part of the big family fun day.
'Many people come from all over the county to enjoy our sandy beaches and the run will offer an additional enjoyment with an Olympic-style challenge.'
The run will start at noon with a warm up with staff at the Oasis Sports and Leisure Centre on the seafront and participants will receive a T-shirt, medal and goody bag.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
For the less energetic, a 1 to 2km fun run will also be on offer at the event, supported by Cup Classic, and fancy dress is being encouraged.
George Burroughs, from the Stroke Association added: 'It is going to be a great day we will have live entertainment, various crafts stalls, a classic car show and an array of VW Camper vans on the Green.
'It will be great fun for all the family and we hope to see you there.'
The event is part of the borough council's Let's Get Active 2012 campaign which highlights the sporting activities on offer in West Norfolk while encouraging residents to get fit and stay active.
Visit www.stroke.org.uk or email email@example.com or call 01284 749650 for more information.
Registration costs �10.
Classic car owners hoping to attend can register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling Richard Phillips on 07768 877781.