Mystery over Navy-like ship RV Triton anchored just off the coast of Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Archant
Standing watch over one of the region's busiest beaches, a ship anchored just off the coast of Great Yarmouth has turned a lot of heads.
The large vessel has led to lots of speculation on social media about what it is and why it is there.
Despite being dark grey colour, the same as many Royal Navy boats, it is actually owned by the Yarmouth-based marine services company Gardline.
The ship is actually a research vessel called Triton.
It has been anchored 1.5 miles (2.5km) off the coast, directly opposite Merrivale model village, and is clearly visible from the beach.
You may also want to watch:
Built in 2000, the 2,236 gross tonnage vessel is a former prototype British warship demonstrator and was also used by the Australian Border Force.
While in Australian service it was armed with two .50 calibre heavy machine guns.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 6 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 7 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 8 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 9 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 10 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
A spokesman for Gardline said they did not wish to comment at this stage about what the vessel is doing.