Must-read woodburner safety tips from Cambridgeshire fire brigade
- Credit: Archant � 2009
As the cold snap continues, people with woodburners have been reminded to clean the flues following a fire at a home in Wisbech over the weekend.
A crew from Wisbech was called out just after 3am on Sunday after a fire started in the flue of a woodburner at a home in Burrettgate Road. Firefighters used a hose reel to put it out.
Kevin Napier, head of community fire safety for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: 'If you are buying a woodburner make sure you get it fitted or installed by an expert and follow the manufacturer's guidance on use.
'During the current cold spell we would also like to remind people with both woodburners and chimneys to have them cleaned if they haven't been swept during the past year. Anyone with open fires or a log burner should also make sure they have carbon monoxide alarms as well as smoke alarms.'