Move over Ariel! Meet Norfolk’s very own mermaid
- Credit: Archant
As children, many of us sat and watched The Little Mermaid, wishing we could be just like Ariel, with her long flowing locks and fabulous tail.
For Hannah Griffiths from Acle this wish came true, as she has recently been crowned Miss Mermaid Norfolk.
As such the 34-year-old Digital Marketing Manager, is now hoping to take part in the national finals for Miss Mermaid UK in July.
Miss Griffiths said: 'My passion is the ocean and I've been obsessed with mermaids and diving for as long as I can remember.
'I recently studied at the Philippine Mermaid Swimming School and qualified as Level 3 IMSIA (advanced mermaid swimming) in January.
You may also want to watch:
'I had such a good time out there, I wanted to continue on with it when I got back and that's when I came across Miss Mermaid UK online, I applied as a bit of fun - I never thought I'd actually get through!'
Miss Mermaid UK is a unique pageant for mermaid lovers which has been running since 2014.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 4 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 9 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 10 Popular wine merchant took his own life, inquest hears
'I've been invited to represent Norfolk at the finals in the summer,' said Miss Griffiths. 'This will involve everything you'd expect from a normal pageant, with ball gowns and a catwalk, but there will also be some mermaid skills thrown in, where contestants will be judged on mermaid swimming, underwater posing and tricks such as somersaults.'
In order to compete, Hannah will need to obtain a sponsor and is hoping to make a big splash with a local company.
'I absolutely love Norfolk and it would be an honour to represent the county and possibly bring the mermaid crown back here, but I only have until Friday March 24 to secure my place and still need to find someone to sponsor me,' she said.
'It would be amazing to be part of such a diverse, caring and inclusive event, helping prove to others that you're never to old to fulfil your dreams and that you really can be anything you want to be - including a mermaid!'
• If you're interested in sponsoring Hannah in Miss Mermaid UK, email email@example.com