Mouldy flat forced Thorpe End mother-of-two to live in a motel - and now she fears she could be made homeless
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
A mother-of-two who had to move out of her mould-covered flat due to health concerns fears she could now be made homeless.
Shannon Bell left her property in Thorpe Hamlet last month after her 11-month-old twins were rushed to hospital with breathing problems.
She said the paramedic who picked them up believed it had been a direct result of the mould and damp in the flat.
The 20-year-old has since had to live in a motel in Spixworth with her two boys while the property is investigated.
'I'm concerned that they will make us homeless if we refuse to go back,' Miss Bell said. 'If we are on the streets our children will be taken away.
You may also want to watch:
'We need a place to get settled and somewhere to get my kids settled.'
Broadland Housing Association has since deemed the flat to be habitable, but Miss Bell is not wanting to return due to the constant damp.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
The association, which owns the property, said it had given her appropriate guidance to manage the spread of mould.
But Miss Bell claimed the advice was not suitable for this time of year.
She said the housing association had told her to leave her windows open and keep her radiators on the highest setting.
'Obviously I didn't want to leave the windows open all the time, because I have two young children and I don't want them to get ill,' she said.
Last month, the mould had become so widespread that her twins had to be taken to hospital with respiratory syncytial virus and bronchitis.
Miss Bell said even after using anti-mould kits, the issue still remained.
Norwich City Council said it had a statutory duty to provide temporary accommodation while an investigation was carried out at a property. Around 11 families are currently being housed in such accommodation. It is understood if Miss Bell's property is deemed habitable, and she refuses to live there, she will be made homeless.
A spokesman for Broadland Housing Association said an inspection of the flat found it was habitable. 'We have assisted and provided guidance to allow Miss Bell to resolve the mould issues which we believe are being impacted by the family's lifestyle,' the spokesman said.