Motorists lose their jobs after being caught drink driving

Yarmouth Magistrates court.Photo: Nick ButcherCopy: For: EDP /ENArchant © 2009(01603) 772434

Yarmouth Magistrates court.Photo: Nick ButcherCopy: For: EDP /ENArchant © 2009(01603) 772434 - Credit: Archant © 2009

A former courier driver has been banned from driving for 40 months after he pleaded guilty to drink-driving.

Tony Roden, 45, of Nelson Road South, Great Yarmouth, admitted to a breathalyser reading of 72 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mcg.

He was one of four drink-drivers who appeared at Yarmouth Magistrates' Court yesterday.

A statement read out by the prosecution in court heard that the policeman had to avoid a collision with Roden on the evening of December 13 on Peggotty Road.

Anne Marie-Sheridan, representing Roden, said that he had recently come out of a relationship of nine years and lost his job as a courier driver because of the incident. As well as his driving ban, he was fined £120 and ordered to pay a £20 victim surcharge.

Karl Middleton, 38, of Mill Road, Great Yarmouth, also lost his warehouse job after he was caught drink-driving.

The court heard how his Mercedes CLK 220 ended up on its roof when he hit a kerb on Jones Way in Great Yarmouth on October 16.

Most Read

He fled the scene, but was later arrested at his home by officers, where he blew a reading of 95mcg of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

Miss Marie-Sheridan, mitigating, said: 'He should have known better and he can give no explanation for what he has done.'

Middleton, who pleaded guilty, was disqualified from driving for three years, ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and pay a £60 victim surcharge.

Christopher Hull, 26, of St Peter's Road, Great Yarmouth, received an 18-month driving ban after he crashed his BMW on St George's Road in Great Yarmouth while over the limit.

The hotel maintenance worker pleaded guilty after he was found with 65mcg of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath on September 16. Magistrates heard how he struck a traffic light while his partner was in the car with him.

Miss Marie-Sheridan, representing Hull, said: 'He will lose his job and he is remorseful.' Hull was also fined £105 and ordered to pay £85 in court costs and a victim surcharge of £60.

Father-of-three Matthew Salmon pleaded guilty to driving his Fiat Stilo in Scratby while over the limit.

The court heard how the 39-year-old had been on holiday with his partner and spent the afternoon drinking on August 23. Salmon, of Kiln Way, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, later crashed his car into a hedge on Beach Road. He blew a reading of 102 microgrammes. Officers also found 0.2 grammes of cannabis in his possession.

Miss Marie-Sheridan, mitigating, said her client worked six days a week at a recycling plant. He was banned from driving for 26 months and given a three-month curfew from 8pm to 6am, seven days a week. Salmon also had to pay £85 in court costs and a £60 victim surcharge.