Motorists complain of delays after hour long queues to reach town centre
PUBLISHED: 16:41 12 September 2018 | UPDATED: 16:19 13 September 2018
Copyright: Archant 2018
Motorists have had to wait for up to an hour as roadworks cause traffic jams in a town centre.
Drivers wanting to travel through the centre of Attleborough have to wait at temporary traffic lights as work is completed to widen Surrogate Street, realign the junctions of Church Street and Connaught Road and install traffic lights on Church Street.
Commuter Lucy Allen said: “I work 10 minutes down the road in Hingham and the journey in took me 50 minutes on Monday morning - the already slow congested traffic has been worsened by the temporary traffic lights.
“I’m hoping it’ll be worth it in the end as at the moment I’m facing 12 weeks of avoiding the town centre.”
It is not just drivers feeling the effects of the roadworks as businesses in the centre have noticed a drop in footfall as customers are choosing not to venture into the town because of the delays and reduced parking.
Paul Neve has run The Card and Gift Box card shop in Church Street for a year and says he has noticed a fall in custom.
He said: “Where they have gone wrong, and made a fatal mistake, is not doing the work during the school holidays.
“What I don’t understand is why they don’t move the barriers back at night?
“The businesses that are open in the later hours, such as the takeaway and convenience store, a lot of people park up grab their stuff and go which they can’t do now. If they had done one part at a time the traffic would be better.”
Mr Neve said that his footfall had been good at the start of the week but as motorists saw the extent of the delays they have stopped coming into the town.
But the council says these works will benefit Attleborough in the future.
A Norfolk County Council spokesperson, said: “The Transport for Attleborough project will see £4.5m invested in the town to help support planned growth and resolve some of the current problems with the road and transport networks.
“Work got underway during the quieter summer months and is being done as swiftly as possible so this phase is complete by the end of November to avoid the key Christmas trading period.
“It is necessary for barriers to remain in place overnight to protect the public from walking or driving into open excavation and unsafe areas.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.