Motorist narrowly avoids being impaled as fence post smashes through windscreen
- Credit: Archant
A MOTORIST came close to being impaled by a piece of a wood which smashed through the windscreen of his car after it careered into a fence.
As this dramatic photograph shows the wood came within inches of where the driver had been seated.
The male driver, however, was left with serious injuries following the collision which also injured four others.
The East of England Ambulance Service said they were called to The Cotes, in Soham, East Cambs, at 3.22am today following reports of vehicle colliding with a fence and other cars parked in a garden.
Two crews from Cambridge and Ely stations, a duty operations manager and the trust's hazardous area response team were dispatched to the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: 'The driver of the vehicle, a man, received a serious injury after a wooden fence post came through the windscreen striking him.
'He was very lucky indeed not have been impaled on it. Paramedics treated, stabilised and immobilised him at the roadside before he was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital for further assessments.'
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 3 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 4 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 5 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 6 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 7 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 8 Cactus shop selling £95 plants opens in Norwich phone box
- 9 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 10 'Fantastic to have people back' - Tea room reopens on Broads
The other four occupants in the vehicle were also taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, for treatment.