Motorcyclist in his 20s dies after crash on B1107 close to Thetford Golf Club
- Credit: Ian Burt
Police are investigating a crash which claimed the life of a young motorcyclist in Thetford.
The man, who is his 20s and believed to come from the Thetford area, was involved in a collision on the B1107, near Thetford Golf Club, on Saturday afternoon.
The rider, who has yet to be named, was travelling in the direction of Brandon when he collided with a white Kia, shortly before 12.30pm.
Police are trying to piece together what happened. Investigators will prepare a file for the coroner's inquest into the man's death.
Professional golfer Josh Chamberlain, 21, said: 'I was working at the golf club when it happened. The first I knew was when a person came in and told me there had been an accident. Then the air ambulance arrived and lots of people.
'I originally thought it might be an accident involving a golfer crossing over the road – it's a dangerous road for golfers crossing over, there's a 60mph limit.'
Mr Chamberlain, who has worked at the club for four years, said he was shocked to find he knew the man.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 5 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 6 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 7 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 8 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 9 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 10 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
'I knew him as I was at the same primary and secondary school but I didn't know him well,' he added. 'I was shocked because I went to school with him and he is the same age as me.'
A single bunch of flowers has been laid close to where the crash happened.
Carl Foster, who has been riding motorbikes since he was 17, runs Dannii's Diner in nearby Brandon, which is frequented by motorcyclists.
'I know that stretch of the road very well,' he said. 'As an experienced driver any road is dangerous and has to be treated with respect.
'There are some bad potholes down there, but doesn't every road in Norfolk undulate. Most of the riders I know are mature, experienced riders but even the most experienced motorcyclist can get into difficulties.'
In February 2015 Edward McDermott, 78, was killed while attempting to cross the B1107 between the fifth and sixth holes at Thetford Golf Club.
The retired shopkeeper, who lived in Ilford, Essex, was part of a 70-strong visiting group from Chigwell Golf Society.
Anyone with information about Saturday's crash is asked to call police on 101.