Mother tells of frustration at five-hour train journey from London to Norwich
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich mother was left frustrated after her and her daughter's train journey home from London ended up taking almost five hours instead of the scheduled two on Sunday night.
Marie Swallow, 32, was travelling back to Norwich yesterday with her seven-year-old daughter Lulu after spending the weekend visiting her brothers in the capital.
The pair were booked onto the 7.30pm London Liverpool Street to Norwich service, which should have arrived at 9.31pm.
However the mother, from Unthank Road, didn't arrive in Norwich until after midnight.
'We didn't leave London until about 8.15pm and then waited for about half an hour in every station, so we didn't get back gone midnight,' she said.
'We weren't told why we were leaving late or given any warning of the delays, which is really disappointing and the lack of communication was outrageous.
'They must have known about the delays so why weren't we told?
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 3 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 4 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 5 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 6 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 7 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 8 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 9 Soldier from Norwich jailed over rape of girl
- 10 From pot washer to head chef: 17-year-old's remarkable rise to the top
'If we had been told I wouldn't have made the journey, I would have stayed in London another night. Instead I had to put my daughter to bed about 1am and wake her up again the next morning.'
The antiques dealer said that there was no catering on the train or at any stations, until they reached Stowmarket where people were queuing for use of a vending machine.
Greater Anglia said: ''We apologise for the delays to services on Sunday.
'The 19.30 Liverpool Street to Norwich service was late departing London Liverpool Street as police were called to attend a disorder incident on the train.
'The train was then held at Ipswich and Stowmarket stations due to congestion caused by broken down Network Rail engineering train.
'We would like to apologise to passengers who were travelling on this service.'
•What are the worst train journeys you've had on the Norwich to London line? You can leave your comments below.