Search

Mother hedgehog dies after being caught in the flames of a bonfire in north Norfolk

PUBLISHED: 10:06 10 October 2015 | UPDATED: 12:19 10 October 2015

Injured hedgehog which had nested under a bonfire

Injured hedgehog which had nested under a bonfire

Archant

A mother hedgehog has died and her three babies seriously injured when they were all caught in the flames of a bonfire in north Norfolk.

The family were found in a fire which had been lit in a back garden in North Norfolk, and quickly rushed to the specialist centre for wildlife.

Alison Charles, the centre’s manager said: “All four had burnt skin or spines and were suffering from smoke inhalation and sadly the mum hedgehog died shortly after arrival. Our vets said it was likely a combination of heat and smoke which killed her.

“Her three daughters have survived but we are keeping a close eye on them, as problems caused by smoke inhalation can take a while to show sometimes.”

The RSPCA have now issued a reminder to carefully check the surrounding areas before any fires are lit, particularly with bonfire night festivities next month.

The charity also advises to move the bonfire before lighting it, and to start the fire as soon as it has been built.

Mrs Charles added: “The members of the public who brought this hedgehog family in were really upset as they did the right thing and actually had checked the bonfire before starting it - but just didn’t see them.

“They did see the hogs once the fire was lit, and pulled them out, but not until it was too late for the mum, unfortunately.”

It is hoped the three youngsters will be released in the wild once fully recovered.

- Have you helped rescue an animal in distress? Email louise.hepburn@archant.co.uk

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists