Success for mother and daughter as ‘meals on wheels’ service expands to new town
- Credit: Archant
A successful family-run meals on wheels delivery service is expanding into new towns as demand for the home meal delivery service grows.
Founded by Sandy Camp, the Hot Meal Service has been serving the elderly in the local community and helping people to lead independent lives since 2011.
Initially only serving six customers a day, the service now cooks up and delivers as many as 90 hot meals each day in fourteen different regions - so much so that Mrs Camp and her daughter Lisa have begun expanding into a new town.
Originally set up to help out those who need food in Holton, the service has opened a second kitchen in Earsham, with Sandy and Lisa each running one kitchen.
"It's mainly the elderly and disabled we serve. But we want to encourage people to stay in if they need to," said mum Sandy.
"People are so delighted to see us. They look forward to the food: it's all very traditional, made with good quality ingredients from fresh and local suppliers.
"And people get to know us and the drivers!"
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 4 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 5 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 6 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 7 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 8 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 9 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 10 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
A main meal and dessert costs £6.50 to be delivered, but sometimes the service goes above and beyond meals, and can be the first point of call to recognising any issues people are facing.
Lisa Camp said: "Sometimes we are the only friendly face somebody may see all day. To provide a hot, healthy home cooked dinner straight to their door is very satisfying."
"If someone doesn't seem well we do help, or tell their family. It's more than a meals on wheels service," her mum Sandy added.
"Recently I was delivering to a customer whose door was locked and it was quiet, so I rang her daughter who got there in ten minutes, and she had fallen and been on the floor all night. The family were so grateful we raised the alarm."
Offering a daily lunchtime delivery service from Monday to Friday, evening meals, and frozen food for weekends, the service covers the following 14 communities:
Beccles, Worlingham, Bungay, Ditchingham, Earsham, Loddon, Harleston, Halesworth, Holton, Wissett, Blythburgh, Reydon, Wangford, and Southwold.
If you need hot food, or want to learn more, visit www.thehotmealsservice.co.uk or call Sandy on 01986 835895.