MJB, speed camera and a ‘mammoth’s penis’ - 10 of the most popular stories read by you in 2017
- Credit: Duffields
We take a look back at some of our most popular stories of the year as 2017 draws to a close.
1. 'I had a gut feeling something was wrong' - Woman approached by man driving car with blue flashing lights describes experience
In February a woman was asked to step out of her car by a man she thought was driving a police car on a country road in south Norfolk. The female driver said: 'I had a gut feeling as soon as it happened that it was wrong as he had done it out of way so people would not have seen.'
2. Cromer and Sheringham put 'on lockdown' amid safety fears
Fears over public safety led to large parts of two of North Norfolk's most popular seaside resorts being put on lockdown on what should have been one of the busiest weekends of the year in August. Pubs and other town centre businesses in Cromer closed early on after reports of disturbances in the town the night before.
3. Center Parcs guests in Elveden told to stay in lodges after customer 'overheard someone mention a suspect device'
Police were called to Center Parcs in Elveden and hundreds of people were told to stay in their lodges after a customer 'reported overhearing someone mention a suspect device'. Shops and restaurants were evacuated during the incident in July, along with several hundred swimmers who had been in the nearby pool complex. Nothing suspicious was found.
You may also want to watch:
4. Martin Lewis: Should you be claiming this little-known council tax discount?
Up to 100,000 of the most vulnerable people in society are missing out on a council tax discount worth hundreds or thousands of pounds. That's what money saving expert Martin Lewis explained in his column about council tax discount.
5. New Norfolk speed camera system is switched on
There was a lot of interest in a new speed camera system being switched on in the west of the county. The average speed safety camera system was installed on the A17, to the west of King's Lynn.
- 1 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 2 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 3 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 4 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 7 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 8 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
6. Why one woman left a MJB hotel in Norwich just eight minutes after arriving
A woman from Aylsham walked out of her MJB hotel room on Earlham Road in Norwich just eight minutes after arriving. She claimed there were hairs on the bed, dirt on the table and bath, the towels were old and there was very little toilet roll.
7. 'It was like a scene from an all-action movie' - hero lorry driver saves motorist's life in A47 drama
In what was described as 'like a scene from an all-action movie' Russell Dagless put his life on the line when he saw the driver of a van slumped at the wheel of his moving vehicle crashing into the central barrier on the A47 near Dereham. He received a top award for his incredible bravery.
8. Brundall vegetarian finds chicken in his cheese and onion slice at Norwich Co-op
There's nothing quite like tucking into a warm, crumbly pasty after a long day - so imagine the shock of this vegetarian when he took a bite into a cheese and onion slice and found chicken inside. James Hesketh bought the snack from the Co-op at Norwich train station but was left cheesed off when his freshly baked cheese and onion slice contained chicken.
9. Norfolk people warned 'Amazon' scam could cost them dearly
In January watchdogs warned people in Norfolk to be on their guard about scam emails claiming to be from Amazon. Officers at Norfolk Trading Standards issued the warning about 'convincing' looking emails stating the recipient has made an order for a high-value item from the online retailer.
10. 'Mammoth's penis' found on north Norfolk coast
An amateur metal detector got the internet talking in January with his unusual find. Robert Mee unearthed a phallus-shaped fossil on the same stretch of coastline where the skeleton of a mammoth was discovered 27 years ago - prompting claims it is a mammoth penis.