More travellers and horses move onto Great Yarmouth High School playing field
- Credit: Supplied
More travellers are reported to have moved onto a playing field in Great Yarmouth this evening, after around 24 caravans and associated vehicles turned up on Sunday.
The group moved onto the Barnard Bridge playing field, on Barnard Avenue, on Sunday afternoon, and since then it has been alleged that damage has been done to goals used by Great Yarmouth High School and Great Yarmouth Town FC youth teams.
Yesterday John Robson, headteacher at the school, said: 'It is an incredibly annoying situation as it we can not use the site at the moment which we own.
'It is not affecting us too much fortunately as we are 190 pupils down with year 11 pupils out of the school and we can use the small space we have on the Beaconsfield and the school field.'
The football clubs tweeted to move their training elsewhere and have set up a GoFundMe page to try and replace any damaged equipment.
Now it seems more travellers have turned up at the site, with caravans, horse boxes and horses.
And Lee Hackleton, committee member and under-11s manager at GYTFC, said he had been told more were planning on arriving tonight,
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 4 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 5 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 6 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 7 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 8 Restaurant owner 'excited' as Norwich street is permanently pedestrianised
- 9 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 10 Jailed in Norfolk: Flytippers and paedophiles
Today and Norfolk County Council spokesperson said there was no update on the situation, but yesterday they confirmed they were looking into the situation.
Anne McEwan who lives near the site said: 'I feel for the poor school kids and football players who use the field as they can't use it as long as they are on there.'