More than 300 people take part in RAF Mildenhall’s annual Joan Mann Specials Sports Day
- Credit: Senior Airman Christine Groening
More than 300 special needs athletes took part in a sporting event hosted by RAF Mildenhall.
The Joan Mann Special Sports Day was started by former MoD employee Joan Mann who worked in public affairs at the Suffolk base.
She conceived the event as a way to offer those with special needs a day of fun and to bring the civilian and military communities closer together.
The event opened with the lighting of an Olympic torch and a parade of athletes and ended with a medal presentation.
The athletes took part in 12 sporting events, including bowling and a 50-yard wheelchair dash. More than 600 volunteers and US airmen from RAF Mildenhall, RAF Lakenheath and RAF Feltwell helped at the event.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Draper was recognized by Col Christopher Amrhein, 100th Air Refueling Wing Commander, for being the only athlete to have participated in all 36 of the events.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 7 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 8 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 9 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 10 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack