More than 230 people take part in Lowestoft Parkrun as one year anniversary is celebrated in style
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Records were broken at the most easterly park run as a special anniversary was marked in style – with more than 200 people hitting the startline.
Organisers of the Lowestoft Parkrun celebrated its one year anniversary yesterday (Saturday) with a record attendance.
Over the past year the popular weekend event has welcomed more than 1,500 participants to Lowestoft seafront, and has been supported by more than 100 volunteers from within the community – and there has even been a marriage proposal as well!
But with balloons lining the route and at the finish line, the Lowestoft Parkrun broke the 200 runners barrier and topped their best-ever total of 199 runners that lined up on the startline on the seafront, close to the Hotel Hatfield, one year ago.
The 233 runners slalomed around a three mile (5km) course, which goes past the Claremont Pier, down onto the lower promenade and past the beach huts and lifeguard station before climbing the steep hill near Cefas and back down towards the Hotel Hatfield – with the finish line situated within the gardens of the Wellington Esplanade.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser Rob Fawcett, of Access Community Trust, said: 'To break the 200-barrier is absolutely perfect. There is an awesome atmosphere every week and with a mixture of ages and abilities it encourages everyone to get active. Considering our event is still relatively new compared to others, we have gone from strength to strength very quickly.'
? For more information visit www.parkrun.org.uk/lowestoft
- 1 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 4 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 5 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 6 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 7 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 8 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
? For more details and photos from the record-breaking Lowestoft Parkrun, see our next edition.