More than 22,000 benefit from website - Bargain Buys for Busy Mums - set up in Norwich
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
A group of tech-savvy bargain hunters are celebrating a massive milestone for their online site following its member count exceeding 22,000 followers in just four months.
And now the organisers behind the Facebook group, Bargain Buys for Busy Mums, is inviting its members from across the globe to take part in a celebratory picnic.
Jody Leggett, of Sprowston Road, Norwich, is mum to seven-month-old Charlotte, and started the group last November. The 33-year-old said: 'It was expensive buying things like nappies and toys so I thought I would set the group up for my mummy friends so we could share bargains when we came across them.'
But things soon escalated and now uncles, grandparents or anyone in search of offers on parenting essentials can join the group.
Mrs Leggett added: 'Members are located across the whole of the UK, from Scotland to Cornwall and Ireland to Norwich. We also have members in Australia, United Arab Emirates, Europe and more.
You may also want to watch:
'I initially thought this might attract interest from mums locally, trying to save a few pennies – a few hundred people at most – but since November interest in the group has been huge and we're on our way to getting even more members.'
Each day around 60 deals are promoted by members and many purchases made as a result. The personal shopping team search for specific requested items and locate the best prices they can find.
- 1 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 4 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 5 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 6 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 7 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 8 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
And as well as sourcing the best bargains, friendships have also formed, including that of Mrs Leggett and Amanda Viner, 31, of Canfor Road, Rackheath. She answered Mrs Leggett's call for help when the site started to expand and the two have never looked back.
Soon-to-be mum-of-two, Mrs Viner said: 'I started helping with the group almost from the beginning. There is such a lovely sense of community on the site and we are very proud of what's been achieved.'
The members' picnic will be from 11am to 2pm on April 26 at Waterloo Park, off Angel Road, Norwich.
• To join sign up to Facebook and visit www.facebook.com/groups/bargainbuysforbusymums or follow on Twitter @bargainbuymums. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Have you done something special using social media? Email reporter email@example.com, ring 01603 693892 or follow on Twitter @donnaloubishop.