More than 2,000 bras circle Norwich landmark for charity
A chain of bras encircled one of Norwich's landmark buildings today to raise awareness of breast cancer.
Norfolk and Waveney cancer charity Big C invited women to 'Link Up Your C Cup' to raise funds for the cause and awareness of the disease.
More than 2,000 bras were linked together and circled Norwich Castle twice. Many of the bras will now be used to raise further funds in Big C's shops. Daniel Williams, chief executive of Big C, said: 'It's been a really good way of generating fantastic awareness in a light-hearted way for what is a very serious subject.
'This is about our local Norfolk cancer charity and we couldn't think of any better place to do it than a local landmark like Norwich Castle. We make a massive difference locally and we couldn't do it without the help and support of people.'
It is the second time Big C has hosted the Link Up Your C Cup event. Last year's event was held at the Big C Centre at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and raised �1,000. As part of today's event, there was a competition to design the fanciest bra. The winning design, by cancer sufferer Karen Batterby, was chosen by Lord Mayor of Norwich Jenny Lay.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Lay, who battled breast cancer two years ago, said: 'Cancer is such a serious problem for so many of us; this is a great way to raise awareness in a light-hearted way.'
Ms Batterby, 50, from Hempnall, who has had breast cancer and has now got liver cancer, said: 'You have to keep fighting. Big C is so needed for the people of Norfolk.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 6 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 7 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 8 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 9 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
To support Big C, go to www.big-c.co.uk
Do you know someone who has battled a life-threatening disease? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org