More people use Shippea Hill train station on Christmas Eve than the whole of last year thanks to Ian Cumming from The Great British Bake Off
- Credit: Ian Cumming
A Great British Bake Off contestant's plan to throw the passenger statistics at the UK's quietest railway station worked as more people used the station on Christmas Eve than the whole of last year.
Ian Cumming, who starred in the 2015 series of the hit TV show, encouraged people to come with him to Shippea Hill train station in Cambridgeshire by baking mince pies - and it worked.
A total of 16 people boarded the 7am from Cambridge, the only one of the day, and arrived at the station at 7.25am. The station had only 12 entries and exits during 2015/16, according to the Office of Rail and Road (ORR).
Mr Cumming said: 'I couldn't decide what would be a success if it would be one person or 100 people but I think 16 was a good number and they had more people on that day then the whole of last year so yes it was successful.
'There was good mix of people with a couple of families and some very happy people at the station who were thrilled to see us.'
You may also want to watch:
Those who woke up early for the day trip were treated to his homemade mince pies, 88 in total, so there was plenty for seconds.
Mr Cumming added: 'The nicest thing was that there was a welcoming committee, around 10 people came to meet us and they made a welcome banner which was great.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 7 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 8 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 9 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 10 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites