Moonlight wins best picture Oscar after La La Land was handed award in shock mix-up
- Credit: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP
Moonlight has been awarded the best picture Oscar after La La Land was handed it in an unprecedented mix-up.
Bonnie And Clyde duo Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway took to the stage to announce the winner with Beatty hesitating as he prepared to read the name.
He handed the envelope to Dunaway who read out La La Land to rapturous applause sparking celebrations among the cast and crew.
As the stage was filled by stars Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling and producers Jordan Horowitz and Marc Platt began their acceptance speeches, members of the Oscars crew were seen running across the back of the stage.
Producer Fred Berger then appeared and told a stunned crowd: 'There's a mistake. Moonlight you guys won best picture. This is not a joke, Moonlight you won best picture. Moonlight best picture.'
You may also want to watch:
Platt added: 'This is no joke I'm afraid they read the wrong thing.'
Berger then held up a card towards the camera showing Moonlight had won best picture while the film's cast and crew were shown hugging in jubilation.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
A visibly shocked Kimmel intervened, saying: 'This is very unfortunate what happened,' before joking: 'Personally I blame Steve Harvey' in a not-so-veiled reference to Harvey announcing the wrong winner at Miss Universe in 2015.
Berger said: 'I'm going to be really proud to hand this to my friends to Moonlight' and hugged the film's star Mahershala Ali.
As La La Land's crew cleared the stage, Beatty returned to the microphone and said: 'I'll tell you what happened. I opened the envelope and it said 'Emma Stone La La Land' that's why I took such a long look at Faye and then you. I wasn't trying to be funny. This is Moonlight, best picture.'
Moonlight's director Barry Jenkins said: 'Very clearly even in my dreams this can't be true. But to hell with it because this is true. It's true, it's not fake.'
Paying tribute to the team behind La La Land, he said: 'We have been on the road with these guys and it was so gracious and so generous of them.'
Producer Dede Gardner added: 'I'm still not sure this is real. It's very humbling to be up here and I hope it's inspiring to little black boys and brown girls who feel marginalised. I hope they take some inspiration from seeing his beautiful group of artists.'
Here is a list of winners:
• Best Picture: Moonlight
• Actor in a Leading Role: Casey Affleck - Manchester By The Sea
• Actress in a Leading Role: Emma Stone - La La Land
• Actor in a Supporting Role: Mahershala Ali - Moonlight
• Actress in a Supporting Role: Viola Davis - Fences
• Directing: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
• Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight - Barry Jenkins
• Writing (Original Screenplay): Manchester By The Sea - Kenneth Lonergan
• Animated Feature Film: Zootopia
• Cinematography: La La Land - Linus Sandgren
• Music (Original Song): City Of Stars - La La Land
• Music (Original Score): La La Land