Monday reopening for Yaxham’s problem-hit village hall
The team that runs one of mid-Norfolk's busiest village halls has thanked users for their patience after disaster struck during a routine refurbishment and spring clean.
Furniture was being put back in place today at the community hub at Yaxham, near Dereham, ready for it to reopen next week.
Events in the building's main hall had to be called off after excess water on the floor caused the floor to buckle, lifting tiles in the process.
The problems unfolded before Easter and took longer than expected to put right.
But long-serving hall chairman David Myhill said today that contractors had put things right now, that a new floor was in place and that the village hall could return to full use again first thing on Monday.
Mr Myhill again apologised to users for the unforeseen closure, which led to some events being called off or transferred to Yaxham's Church Rooms or to other halls in the Dereham area.
But he added: 'Everyone has been so understanding, and we are very grateful to them for that.'
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 9 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
Yaxham Village Hall is used morning, afternoon and night on some days for events ranging from dances to charity sales and bingo sessions.
Mr Myhill said the replacement floor was lovely, and the hall committee would be reimbursed for the lost income and necessary repairs.
To hire the hall or confirm bookings made before the closure, call Mr Myhill on 01362 692593 or bookings secretary Muriel Meachen on 01362 695876.