Model boating fans looking to build new lake in Thetford
- Credit: Archant
It is a hobby that requires patience, a steady hand, and a passion for all things nautical.
But for lovers of model boating, there is one other requirement they are marooned without - a stretch of water to test out their prized vessels.
Therein lies the dilemma for hobbyists in the Thetford area, who face a trip of at least 30 miles to their nearest suitable lake or pond.
Now a motley crew of nearly 20 enthusiasts is sending out an SOS for help in setting up a facility.
They are hoping to latch on to plans being developed by Thetford Town Council to build a marina in the town, following a waterspace study carried out earlier this year.
David Patrick, 65, has put the group together, and said it is desperate times for model boating fans.
'We've tried various venues down the years, but then fishermen come in, or weeds come through, and we can't use them any longer.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 3 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 4 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 5 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 6 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 7 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 8 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 9 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 10 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
'At the moment we are heading out to the other side of Newmarket or Norwich and when you factor in petrol it's an expensive day out.
'What we need now is a specialist boating lake, like the one in Eaton Park in Norwich, so we have somewhere to go,' he said.
While the plans are in the early stages, it is hoped further interest will be generated by a River Day on the Little Ouse, being put on as part of Thetford's Great Festival on August 27.
The day will feature a host of river-related activities, as well as an appearance by model boats, conditions permitting.
Mr Patrick said land on meadows close to the Abbey Estate and Thetford Priory had been earmarked for the new lake.
Any facility would need to have a concrete bottom, and its edge would be raised from the ground.
If you can help the group, call David Patrick on 01842 765142.
Have you had trouble finding a home for your hobby? Let us know by emailing email@example.com