Model boating fans looking to build new lake in Thetford
- Credit: Archant
It is a hobby that requires patience, a steady hand, and a passion for all things nautical.
But for lovers of model boating, there is one other requirement they are marooned without - a stretch of water to test out their prized vessels.
Therein lies the dilemma for hobbyists in the Thetford area, who face a trip of at least 30 miles to their nearest suitable lake or pond.
Now a motley crew of nearly 20 enthusiasts is sending out an SOS for help in setting up a facility.
They are hoping to latch on to plans being developed by Thetford Town Council to build a marina in the town, following a waterspace study carried out earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
David Patrick, 65, has put the group together, and said it is desperate times for model boating fans.
'We've tried various venues down the years, but then fishermen come in, or weeds come through, and we can't use them any longer.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 4 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 8 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 9 Teen in serious condition after bank holiday crash
- 10 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
'At the moment we are heading out to the other side of Newmarket or Norwich and when you factor in petrol it's an expensive day out.
'What we need now is a specialist boating lake, like the one in Eaton Park in Norwich, so we have somewhere to go,' he said.
While the plans are in the early stages, it is hoped further interest will be generated by a River Day on the Little Ouse, being put on as part of Thetford's Great Festival on August 27.
The day will feature a host of river-related activities, as well as an appearance by model boats, conditions permitting.
Mr Patrick said land on meadows close to the Abbey Estate and Thetford Priory had been earmarked for the new lake.
Any facility would need to have a concrete bottom, and its edge would be raised from the ground.
If you can help the group, call David Patrick on 01842 765142.
Have you had trouble finding a home for your hobby? Let us know by emailing email@example.com