Mixed reaction to next June closure of NatWest bank in North Walsham
- Credit: Archant
The news that NatWest will close its branch in North Walsham in June, alongside four others in the region, was met with a mixed reaction in the town.
There was some concern, especially as the town's Norwich and Peterborough Building Society branch is closing for good at 5pm on Friday, December 1.
There are still branches of Barclays, Lloyds and Santander in the town.
One NatWest customer in North Walsham, who did not wish to be named, said: 'I'm fine with it - I was expecting it. We can still use the Post Office for services. I won't have to travel elsewhere.'
However, another customer, Robina Woffindin, 64. said she was 'disgusted'.
She said: 'I live in Walcott and Stalham used to be my nearest branch, but that closed. Then, I started coming to North Walsham, which become my nearest branch, and now that's closing. I have to pay £1 or 50 for parking in North Walsham every time I come here. I don't know where I will have to do my banking when North Walsham closes - maybe Yarmouth or Cromer.
'I think it's disgusting. Not everyone is online and can do their banking on the internet. A lot of elderly people have trouble doing it. I have also got problems walking.'
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 5 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
- 6 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 7 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 8 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 9 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
Five NatWest branches across the region are due to close next year due to 'radical changes' in the way customers use its services.
Between May 17 and June 27, 2018 the branches in Beccles, Thetford, Holt, Hunstanton and North Walsham will close following a decision by parent company RBS to shut 197 NatWest outlets nationally.
It is the latest in a slew of banks to announce closures, following revelations from Halifax and Lloyds Bank earlier this week that they would close branches in Norwich, Acle, Bungay, Halesworth and Southwold.
In a statement Natwest said it was 'communicating with our customers affected by the closure and proactively contacting vulnerable customers and regular branch users'.
Closing dates for NatWest branches: Beccles – May 17, Thetford – May 22, Holt – June 13, Hunstanton – June 20 and North Walsham – June 27.