Miss Norwich preparing for Miss England final with charity event
Miss Norwich 2011 is getting herself ready to do battle for the Miss England crown.
Amy Spinks, from Hellesdon, has been busy attending different events around Norwich since winning her crown in May.
The 20-year-old waved to the crowds from the back of an open-topped sports car as part of the Lord Mayor's procession, went back to her old school to tell students how she fought back from a debilitating back injury as a teenager and judged a local talent contest.
She has also been busy raising money for different charities and preparing herself for next week's Miss England final – which is being held at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole hotel on Monday and Tuesday.
The former Blyth Jex School pupil, now Sewell Park College, made it through to the final at last month's semi-finals at Champneys Springs Spa in Leicestershire, winning one of the 14 spots up for grabs for the 54 competitors by claiming the Sportswoman Award.
You may also want to watch:
Now she is looking to go all the way and succeed the current Miss England, Jessica Linley, who is also from the Norwich area, coming from Brundall.
She said: 'It's been very busy since I made it into the final but really, really good fun. Going to the final was something that I always wanted to do but there is a lot of competition and I didn't think i'd make it this far so I'm just going to enjoy it. But I'm going to go for it and give it my all to go for the title. If I don't win then I've had a lot of fun, and if not, then it's been a great experience.'
- 1 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 7 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 8 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 9 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 10 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
The blonde-haired and blue-eyed beauty works as a theatre support worker at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and has ambitions to be a doctor after recovering her fitness after suffering a fractured spine in 2004 while competing in a long jump competition.
The 5ft 7ins model has also raised money for charity, raising �2,000 for East Anglian Children's Hospice as well as raising over �1,000 for a school in Kenya.
For more details about the Miss England final, including how to vote for Amy in a telephone vote, go to www.missengland.info
- Amy is hosting a charity evening to raise money for the Beauty With A Purpose charity tomorrow night at the Bakers Dozen function rooms on Millers Lane. The evening of entertainment and a raffle with lots of prizes starts from 7pm, with tickets costing �5 on the door.
- Do you know someone who is entering a high-profile competition? Call reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email email@example.com