Minister hints at upgrade of A47 between Wisbech and Swaffham, including around King’s Lynn
South West Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss today pressed the Roads Minister Mike Penning on whether the A47 would be upgraded during Transport Questions in the House of Commons.
Ms Truss met the Minister afterwards to emphasise the importance of the A47, particularly the Wisbech to King's Lynn and Lynn to Swaffham stretch.
She also raised her concern about the dangerous Broadend Road Junction between King's Lynn and Wisbech.
'The A47 is a vital strategic route from east to west but in many places it is still a single carriageway,' Ms truss asked during transport Questions.
'Does the Minister agree with me that it needs to be upgraded to a national strategic route, which it was before the previous Government downgraded it?'
Mr Penning replied: 'I am very aware of the significance of this particular road. It is something we will look at and will continue to look at as we develop plans for future road improvements.'
After the meeting, Ms truss said: 'I am really pleased by the positive response from the Minister. He has told me that the Department for Transport is seriously examining the possibilities for the A47.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 3 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 'Fantastic' barn conversion with golf simulator and games room is for sale
- 10 Travel: Stay in a 'gingerbread' cottage on a Norfolk farm
'I appreciate that this is going to be a long term process, however I am delighted it is on the DfT's radar and I will continue to press them on this issue. I am also concerned by the extremely poor layout of the Broadend Road junction.
'The Highways Agency need to look at this location again as it is causing considerable concern for residents. With the local parish council, I have seen how dangerous the crossing is and I made this point to the Minster.
'He has assured me that this will be reviewed when looking at the future options for the A47.'