Michelin reviewers impressed by Thetford restaurant
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A market town restaurant has made it in this year's UK Michelin Guide after serving up a top class experience to reviewers.
While it has not received a coveted star, the Mulberry in Thetford received a mention in the 2017 guide, which commends the UK's top restaurants, after being visited by an anonymous reviewer earlier this year.
Owner Karen Connor opened her eatery on Raymond Street six years ago and has been featured in the Good Food Guide for the past two years.
But it is the first time the restaurant, which specialises in Mediterranean fare, has been recognised by Michelin.
In the guide, published this week, the anonymous reviewer writes: 'A bell tinkles as you enter this delightful stone property and the charming owner welcomes you in. The dining room leads through to a conservatory and a walled garden complete with a mulberry tree. Cooking is gutsy and bold flavoured.'
You may also want to watch:
Ms Connor said she only found out her restaurant had been featured in the guide after seeing the article online.
'We knew that someone had been in. It was spring time when the reviewer came, he sat and had three courses and paid, then after the meal he told us why he was there. It was quite funny.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 6 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
'We did not know we would be in the book until it all got published. It was a very nice surprise – I have certainly had worse ones! We have been open exactly six years so it was a great birthday present.
'It is not quite a star but we did get a mention. There are not many places in this area which are in it.
'In the culinary world it is a big deal to be in the guide, because it is not something you pay for or can ask them to do – they decide where to include or not.'
In total 20 new stars were handed out in this year's guide – 18 one-star awards and one each of two-star and three-star. Eight new London restaurants were awarded stars including the Ritz Hotel.
The Mulberry is open for dinner from 6pm Tuesdays to Saturdays.