Mendham couple’s birthday gift to Emmaus Norfolk and Waveney
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2015
A couple who both turned 60 decided to ask their family and friends for something other than presents.
Helen and Stuart Naunton, from Mendham, near Harleston, asked for donations to the Ditchingham-based homeless charity Emmaus Norfolk and Waveney.
The couple's birthdays were on March 26 and August 6 but they held a party on September 2 with invites to the 100 guests suggesting they could make donation in lieu of presents.
In total £600 was raised.
Mr Naunton said: 'Whenever we have visited Emmaus to donate or purchase goods it is great to chat to the companions (those who use the service) who are always helpful and cheerful.
You may also want to watch:
'Hearing snippets of their stories has left us greatly moved, realising how Emmaus has transformed their lives and how lucky we are. When our birthdays came round we didn't want friends or family spending money on presents for us.'
The charity provides a home for up to 23 people who work full-time while with the charity selling and upcycling second-hand furniture and household items at its Ditchingham and Bungay charity shops.
For more information about Emmaus click here
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 9 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us