Meet Grittersaurus, Chittygrittybangbang and Winter Warrior - the names leading Norfolk’s new fleet of road gritters
- Credit: James Bass
Forget Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen... meet Blitzen Blaster, Chittygrittybangbang, and The Grittenator.
Thanks to the creative streak of schoolchildren across Norfolk, eight of Norfolk County Council's gritter fleet now have their own names. Youngsters from schools throughout the county were invited to take part in a 'name a gritter' competition and yesterday, the winning monikers were revealed while one the newly-named vehicles paid a visit to Caister Junior School on the east coast.
David Harrison, cabinet member for environment, transport, development and waste at the county council, joined members of staff and pupils in Caister-on-Sea to announce the eight winning entries.
'We've had a wonderful response from children throughout Norfolk who have come up with some great names for our new gritter trucks,' said Mr Harrison.
'We hope that their involvement has helped them to learn more about staying safe during the winter as well as learning about how our hard working team keep our roads safe.'
You may also want to watch:
Caister school was the largest participant in the competition. The name Blitzen Blaster was suggested by 10-year-old student Jessica Anderson. Her chosen name has now been printed along with the name of the school on a new gritter which will patrol local routes.
The eight winning names are:
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 7 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 8 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
Blitzen Blaster - Caister Junior School, Caister-on-Sea.
Boudica - Falcon Junior School, Norwich.
Chittygrittybangbang - Thorpe House Langley Prep School, Norwich.
Freya Frost - Kinsale Junior School, Norwich.
Grittersaurus - Yaxham CoE VA Primary School, Dereham.
Ice Interceptor - Caston CofE VA Primary School, Attleborough.
The Grittenator - Horsford CofE Junior School, Norwich.
Winter Warrior - Howard Junior School, King's Lynn.
The name a gritter competition aimed to celebrate the £1.9m investment in 24 new gritter trucks for the county. Schoolchildren aged between five and 11 also completed a short quiz online about gritting and safety during winter.