Mayor opens £1m care home extension in 150th anniversary year
- Credit: Ian Burt
The new mayor of Dereham Hilary Bushell conducted her first official engagement by opening a new wing at Bilney Hall Nursing Home in East Bilney. This year marks a very special year for Bilney Hall.
Not only is it the 150th anniversary of when the building was built, but it sees the completion of a brand new, £1 million extension programme. Everyone at the home, which is rated as 'good' for the quality of service it provides by the industry's regulator the CQC, was delighted to welcome Miss Bushell to officiate the unveiling of the new wing, on Friday.
It consists of a large bright lounge, 10 en-suite bedrooms, as well as extensive external landscaping.
Gordon Cochrane, CEO of the Healthcare Homes Group said: '2017 is a year of celebration for everyone here at Bilney Hall. It marks the 150th year in which the building was built by W.T Collison.
'In that time, the grand building has seen many people call it their home and since launching an appeal to help piece together a timeline history of Bilney Hall, we have received much feedback from people across the country, who all hold very special memories of the hall.
You may also want to watch:
'Today, we have officially unveiled the new extension, which creates a fabulous extension to our home. It means we are able to help care for and support yet more people from the local community who require residential support, including those who live with dementia.
'It is poignant that this week is Dementia Awareness Week, as it is also an opportunity to show the investment that is happening within homes in Norfolk to help support not only those personally living with dementia, but also their loved ones and even the wider community.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
'Finally, I would like to thank our team here, all of whom do a fabulous job.'
Home Manager Jenny Daynes said: 'Bilney Hall is a delightful home, and we are privileged to be situated in a stunning part of the country. Here we want to create a real haven for our residents with care and facilities to be proud of.'