Marlingford electrician airlifted to hospital after bathroom wall falls on top of him

The house on Barford Road, Marlingford, where an internal wall fell on top of its owner. The man was

The house on Barford Road, Marlingford, where an internal wall fell on top of its owner. The man was airlifted to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. Picture: SOPHIE WYLLIE - Credit: SOPHIE WYLLIE

An electrician was 'very lucky' after an internal bathroom wall fell on top of him while he was renovating his village home.

Builder Simon Cobbe, who lives next door to the man who was injured when an internal wall fell on hi

Builder Simon Cobbe, who lives next door to the man who was injured when an internal wall fell on him. The pair live on Barford Road, Marlingford. Picture: SOPHIE WYLLIE - Credit: SOPHIE WYLLIE

The accident happened in a detached modern property on Barford Road, Marlingford, at 11am on Monday, September 18.

Despite being airlifted to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital the man in his 30s, who had leg, pelvis and back pain, was returned home that evening, according to neighbour Simon Cobbe.

MORE: Man airlifted to hospital after 10ft brick wall falls on him in Norfolk village

Marlingford village sign. Picture: SOPHIE WYLLIE

Marlingford village sign. Picture: SOPHIE WYLLIE - Credit: SOPHIE WYLLIE

Mr Cobbe, 50, a builder, was first on the scene to help his neighbour after hearing 'yelling' from an upstairs back bathroom.

He said: 'Nothing was broken but he was very bruised. He has been very lucky.

Most Read

'I was putting something out of the back door and heard someone yelling.

'I identified where my neighbour was, hurdled the fence and found him under the wall.

'My other neighbour on the other side came through the back window after hearing the yelling.

'I told him to dial 999 and I got the wall off my neighbour and told him not to move until the emergency services arrived. It was a bit of a shock.'

He added the electrician, who has lived in the Barford Road property for about six months, has been doing a lot of work on his property.

The wall was between eight and 10 feet high and was made of large heavy grey blocks.

Blocks had fallen onto the man's chest and legs, according to Mr Cobbe.

He remained conscious during the ordeal and was 'jovial' after returning to his home, said Mr Cobbe.

About 20 emergency service workers attended, including paramedics, firefighters and the East Anglian Air Ambulance.

Fire crews included teams from Earlham and Carrow.

The narrow country road was not blocked during the emergency and the air ambulance had left the village by 1pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter