Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany reportedly on private plane that veered off Norwich Airport runway
- Credit: PA
A private plane reported to be carrying Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany came off the runway at Norwich International Airport yesterday, causing the airport to shut for nearly four hours.
Manchester City players were caught up in the delays following their match against Norwich City Football Club and were seen waiting for their flight.
The Citation CJ2, operated by Centreline Air Charter, left the runway during the take-off roll and came to a stop on the grass at 6.07pm.
It was a private charter with five people on board. No-one was injured in the incident.
Phil Brockwell, of Centreline Air, said the aircraft left the runway and got stuck in the mud.
He added: 'It was at a fairly low speed of its departure, at which point it veered off the runway, for reasons for which we have some guesses.'
He said it was too early to say whether the plane had been damaged, but the crew were 'fine'.
- 1 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 2 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 3 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 4 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 5 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 6 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 7 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
- 8 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 9 Which of the major shops are staying closed this Boxing Day?
- 10 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
The passengers were taken off the plane, which was removed from the scene, and will be kept in a hangar overnight before engineers examine it today.
The airport was closed immediately after the incident, and remained shut to fixed wing traffic until the aircraft was removed, although it was open to helicopter traffic.
The airport re-opened at 9.58pm, with the one remaining flight cleared to take off, and will be open as usual on Sunday.
A spokesman for the airport said the cause of the incident was not yet known, and the first priority had been ensuring the wellbeing of the occupants of the aircraft.
The Air Accident Investigation Branch has been informed, which the airport said was standard practice.
The ambulance service said no injuries had been reported, and the Norfolk fire service was not called into action.
A person at the airport at the time, but who did not see the incident happen, said: 'The situation seems calm at the moment. Everyone is handling the situation.'
Neither Centreline nor the airport were able to say where the plane was going, or who was onboard.