Man who was beaten within an inch of his life in Great Yarmouth appeals to find woman he says saved him

Shingirai Goredema is launching an appeal to find a women who found him lying on the road after he h

Shingirai Goredema is launching an appeal to find a women who found him lying on the road after he had been assaulted. - Credit: Nick Butcher

The new year is a time to reflect on the 12 months gone by, and look forward to all the future brings.

And for one man, January 1 will be an even more poignant occasion, as four months ago it looked as if he might never toast in a new year again.

Between 11pm on August 28, and 3am the following day, Shingirai Goredema, was beaten within an inch of his life - and now is desperate to find the woman he says saved him.

Mr Goredema, was attacked on Salisbury Road, after leaving the Golfers Arms pub in Great Yarmouth.

He was rushed to the James Paget University Hospital, where it was discovered he was bleeding on two points on his brain.

He was transferred to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, where he remained in a coma for five days.

He steadily made a recovery but wasn't discharged until September 22.

Most Read

The 43-year-old engineer by trade, is originally from Zimbabwe, and lives in Yarmouth.

He said: 'The woman who saved my life is an angel. I just want to meet her and express how grateful I am that she saved my life.

'I feel blessed and lucky to be alive. Five weeks after it happened I went to the Golfers Arms pub and everybody was shocked to see me - they thought I was done for.

'It was then I was told a woman saw me in a pool of blood and called the ambulance. If she did not come over and help - I don't know whether I would be celebrating the new year with my family.'

After the attack, Mr Goredema was in a life-threatening condition, with brain injuries.

He woke up from a coma after five days but cannot remember anything until nine days after the attack.

He said: 'I had gone to the Golfers Arms and I was there with a few friends.

'When I think back on the day, I cannot remember having problems with anyone in the pub, that is not me, and the last thing I can remember is saying goodbye to them and leaving the pub - I cannot remember anything about the attack.

'I was in a lot of pain to begin with and I couldn't remember details as important as that I had a daughter.

'I am getting better all the time but it has been tough as I have been suffering a lot with paranoia.

'If there is somebody walking behind me I have to stop and do my shoelaces and make sure they walk past, and I am very wary about cars coming past, or outside my house.

'My speech has been improving every day, but I still have occasions where I know what I want to say in my brain, but it takes time to get it out.'

Mr Goredema has a wife and four children.

Norfolk Police said the investigation into the attack on Mr Goredema has been 'shelved' as there have been no new leads into the investigation, but they will look into the case if new evidence comes to light.

If anyone has any information on the attack, contact Norfolk Constabulary on 101.

Do you know who the woman is who called the ambulance? Email Mercury reporter